nplaw Town and Parish Councils Support
Town & Parish Councils Understanding your needs

Legal Advice For Town And Parish Councils

nplaw is a public sector legal service with a wealth of experience gained through many years of advising local government, public bodies and charitable institutions. We understand better than most the environment in which town and parish councils work and can offer them, as public bodies, an excellent service.

With more than 100 legal advisers working across our teams, nplaw can offer real expertise in matters as diverse as:

  • Ethics and standards, registration of interests and codes of conduct;
  • Governance and procedures, meetings, minutes and voting;
  • Elections and vacancies;
  • Footpaths and bridleways;
  • Allotments, common land and other open spaces;
  • Employment law;
  • Community transport schemes, car parks and traffic calming measures; sports and leisure facilities, community events and youth project; other facilities, such as street cleaning and lighting, litter bins, public toilets and bus shelters.

nplaw offers legal advice which we believe offers excellent value for money and is charged on an hourly rate basis. We will always endeavour to give you an estimate of how many hours and the cost of conducting your matter, upon receiving your enquiry/instructions. Matters likely to be instructed may include:

  • Advising you by telephone, email or letter on issues such as council powers and responsibilities, short contracts and employment law;
  • Writing letters or emails to third parties on your behalf;
  • Reviewing your policies and code of conduct.

More complicated matters may include framing planning objections or advising on community infrastructure levies.

For more complex matters, we may be able to charge on a fixed fee basis. We offer highly competitive rates but may be flexible in our charging arrangements and able to negotiate with you to find an arrangement that is within the constraints of your budget.

For further information, please contact Sarah Gibb at or on 01603 223852.

If you wish to request nplaw to act on a matter please send detailed instructions to