Compulsory Purchase Orders
nplaw’s CPO consultancy service undertakes a wide variety of CPO projects on behalf of local authorities throughout England and Wales.
Properties compulsorily purchased include every combination of land and buildings: occupied and unoccupied, residential and commercial, leasehold and freehold, listed and unlisted. Some projects involve single plots of land. Many more involve multiple plots. Properties are purchased to facilitate schemes as diverse as housing redevelopment, road improvement, town centre redevelopment and regeneration, the provision of schools, bus stations, energy parks, cemeteries and country parks and the restoration of listed buildings.
Our CPO consultancy service will:
- advise on applicable powers of compulsory purchase;
- prepare or check cabinet or committee reports;
- prepare indemnity agreements when required;
- advise on procedure and prepare all necessary notices and other documents;
- advise on how to deal with objections;
- negotiate with objectors;
- prepare documentation to deal with objections by way of written representations
- undertake advocacy at public inquiries;
- deal with confirmation of the CPO;
- prepare notices to treat and general vesting documents;
- register change of ownership at the Land Registry;
- advise on compensation due to the former owners;
- make Upper Tribunal (Lands Chamber) references.
Our CPO consultancy service also provides training on request.