nplaw – the name is a contraction of Norfolk Public Law – came into being on 1st October 2010, the result of a merger by Norfolk County Council, Norwich City Council and Great Yarmouth Borough Council of their separate legal teams. The merger has been an outstanding success, giving our stakeholder clients access to a much wider range of legal services than previously, services delivered by specialist lawyers who understand the local government context. Our original three stakeholder clients were joined by South Norfolk District Council on 1st April 2012. We currently provide a full legal service to all four stakeholder clients as well as a partial legal service to the Broads Authority and three further Norfolk district councils: Breckland, Broadland and Kings Lynn and West Norfolk. Although a part of Norfolk County Council, we are run as a separate, self-funding business. The future may see our legal status change to become a subsidiary undertaking of Norfolk County Council.
Culture and core values
Between us, nplaw’s staff have many years of local government service and working for the benefit of the public is at the heart of our culture. This strong sense of serving the community extends throughout nplaw from our longest serving members of staff to our most recent appointees. We are committed to building a successful business so as to enable us to continue to serve the public both in Norfolk and elsewhere. Our roots are in Norfolk, it is true, but our desire to serve the public is not limited by geography and we currently act for local authorities across England and Wales.
nplaw has over 70 lawyers working in five teams: child protection; dispute resolution; planning and the environment; property; and public law and standards. Each team is headed by a team lead.
Stakeholder Client Links
- Norfolk County Council https://www.norfolk.gov.uk/
- Norwich City Council https://www.norwich.gov.uk/
- Great Yarmouth Borough Council http://www.great-yarmouth.gov.uk/
- South Norfolk District Council http://www.south-norfolk.gov.uk/
At any one time, our staff includes three trainee solicitors recruited on a staggered basis.
We are happy to offer week-long unpaid “mini” work experience to graduates or undergraduates who are considering a career in the law, the aim of which is to provide an insight into the work of a local government lawyer. We also offer some two-week summer internships for UEA students, administered by the UEA Law School.
For further details of our work experience scheme, please contact
Fiona Anthony at email@example.com
Details of other positions which may become available from time to time are available at
We are always pleased to hear from anyone with suitable qualifications who is interested in working for us, whether on a permanent or temporary basis, please contact
Chris Reynolds at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 01603 222215
Our complaints procedure
We are sure that you will receive an excellent service from nplaw. However, if you feel you would like to make a complaint, the complaints procedure applicable to nplaw is as follows:-
- If you are in any way dissatisfied with the service from nplaw, you should take the matter up with the person who provided the service or the Team Lead within nplaw or the Practice Director. In any event, the Practice Director will investigate the matter.
- If still dissatisfied, you should write to the Managing Director, Norfolk County Council, Martineau Lane, Norwich, Norfolk NR1 2DH, who will arrange for a review to be carried out. This will look into all aspects of your complaint and what actions have been taken to resolve the matter. Your letter will be acknowledged within 5 working days and we will let you know the findings of the review within a further 15 working days. In the Managing Director’s absence the Head of Democratic Services will undertake this function.
- If you believe that your complaint is one about maladministration by Norfolk County Council, you may complain to the Commissioner for Local Administration at this address:- The Local Government Ombudsman, PO Box 4771, Coventry, CV4 0EH.